It’s no secret that Earth is one of the four basic elements along with Water, Air, and Fire, but it’s often a mystery to me as to why it’s an oft-neglected element in the occult community. Perhaps it’s that desire for distance from the “earth-based” pagan religions like Wicca and a drive for distinction. Or maybe it’s more that most people don’t realize that without a firm foundation, one cannot provide manifestation. Without manifestation, you cannot perform basic acts of Will–let alone magick.
Did you know that in the Hermetic Qabalah, Earth is considered to contain all of the elements within it? This is because it is the element of foundation. There are reasons why houses often have four walls: four is the number often associated with a solid foundation, and without balancing all of the elements,one can’t have that. This same principle of a firm foundation weaves its way through all aspects of life. What is the point of being able to meditate for 30 minutes or perform the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (LBRP) if one cannot balance one’s checkbook, maintain good health, and take care of all aspects of themselves in the physical world? Is it from the erroneous assumption in the subconscious that the spiritual world must abandon the material? Have people forgotten the old adage “As above, so below”?
All acts of alchemy and magick derive from the same idea: the key to transformation is in manifestation. Ideas and dreams are just that: ideas and dreams. That is, until they are made concrete in some form or another. Spiritual, mental, emotional, and physical well-being are all interconnected and we must remember this not just on Earth Day, during the LBRP, or meditation but during every waking moment of our lives. We must strive for mindfulness all at times.
Where does one begin? At the start where things take root: thoughts and ideas. Begin by taking the idea that one must be grounded, eat right, and be able to take good care of one’s physical health. What does it mean to be grounded? How does one ground oneself? Everyone is unique in how we most connect to ourselves and the world around us, and while some are more visual others require physical stimuli.
Here are some ideas depending on what suits your personality best:
1) Meditate on becoming balanced in all elements. One of my favorite meditations is to imagine myself on the beach: the sand beneath me, the hot sun over my head, the wind on my face, and the water lapping on my toes on the shore. There you go, all the elements right there: Earth, Fire, Air, and Water.
2) If the above isn’t enough, go to a location that suits the description and spend some time there in quiet repose or meditation.
3) Exercise. The very act of being in touch with one’s physical body is often enough to ground. I highly recommend yoga as both a form of exercise and great way to meditate. Ashtanga and vinyasa style yogas are my favorite.
4) Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Becoming attuned to the element of Earth means not succumbing to the temptation to eat nothing but fried food, chips, red meat, and candy. Listen to your body’s needs. Eat when you’re hungry. Stop when you’re not. Drink plenty of water and get plenty of rest.
5) Invoke! Do whatever best practices are in your chosen tradition for getting in touch with this element, whether it’s a god or goddess associated with the element, an invocation rite to the appropriate spirits, et cetera. Research the correspondences. Find out what herbs, planets, colors, shapes, and various other correspondences exist that are associated with the element of Earth.
I chose this day to write this post not just because it is Earth Day, but because it is my birthday and it is a topic near and dear to my heart. I believe in the power of manifestation and without it, we cannot perform anything in our lives from miracles to fulfilling basic needs. Being in touch with ourselves and the world around us is a necessity to being healthy, whole individuals.
Embrace it. Live it. You can’t begin to take care of an entire planet until you can take care of yourself.
Happy Earth Day! 🙂
Love & Magic,